Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Homemade Pumpkin Ravioli with Pumpkin Cream Sauce

I should have been a housewife

Fall is my favorite time of year and one of my favorite things about fall is pumpkin spice everything. Today I finally decided to try making pasta from scratch, more specifically, pumpkin ravioli from scratch. I couldn't find the exact combination of ravioli and sauce I had in mind, so I mixed and matched a couple of recipes to get just what I was looking for.

Pumpkin Spice Ravioli with Pumpkin Cream Sauce

For the Pasta:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, and one more for egg wash
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cornmeal

For the Filling:
7.5 oz  pumpkin pie filling (1/2 can)
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tablespoon paremesean cheese
Salt and pepper

For the Sauce:
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 can pumpkin pie filling
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon butter

1. In a mixer fitted with a dough hook combine flour and salt. Turn mixer on low and add eggs one by one waiting until each egg has been incorporated before adding the next. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and mix a few minutes more until dough clumps around dough hook. 

I should have been a housewife

2. Remove dough from bowl and knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes. 

I should have been a housewife

(Above: before kneading, Below: after kneading)

I should have been a housewife


3. Drizzle dough with olive oil and wrap loosely in plastic wrap. Let dough rest for 30 minutes. While the dough is resting combine the 7.5 oz of pumpkin pie filling, pumpkin pie spice, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set to the side. 

4. For the sauce combine the cream and pumpkin pie filling in a pot over medium heat and stir well. Once simmering, add Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 7 minutes until slightly thickened, remove from the heat. 

5. When the dough has finished resting, divide in half and re-cover portion not being immediately used. On a floured surface, pull dough into a log and flour top surface. With a rolling pin, flatten into a long rectangle and roll out as thin as possible (to 1/16 of an inch or the height of two stacked quarters).

I should have been a housewife


I used a the thinnest set of rolling pin guides from a pack I had purchased for making sugar cookies. 


I should have been a housewife

     I used the red guides shown above


6. Lightly press the larger end of a shot glass along the lower edge of the dough leaving 1-2 inches between pressings.  This acts as a guide for filling and ensures even spacing of ravioli. 
I should have been a housewife


7. Brush egg wash over the lower half of the rolled out dough where the guides are spaced. Place a heaping teaspoonful of filling into the center of each guide.

I should have been a housewife


8. Gently fold top half of dough over the teaspoons of filling. Starting from the top of each filling mound, lightly press air out from between filling and dough. Firmly Press dough together at the base of the filling to secure ravioli. Repeat for each mound of filling. With a sharp knife, trim excess edge leaving a 1/4 inch skirt around the mound of filling. 

I should have been a housewife




I should have been a housewife


9. Spread a thin layer of cornmeal into a baking sheet. Transfer ravioli from floured surface onto baking sheet. Dip the tines of a fork into flour and press tines along edge of ravioli to firmly seal. 

I should have been a housewife




10. Bring a wide pot of water to a boil. Repeat steps 8-13 for the second half of dough. Once water is boiling, add ravioli to water making sure not to over crowd the pot (you may have to cook in multiple batches to prevent ravioli from sticking). Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring once gently. While ravioli are cooking, reheat sauce, bringing to a simmer. Remove from heat and finish with one tablespoon of butter. 

11. Once ravioli are finished cooking, remove gently with a slotted spoon. Plate ravioli and top with pumpkin cream sauce and extra Parmesan cheese. 


I should have been a housewife




This was a perfect pumpkin kick to my tastesbuds after a busy day at work. 



Hope you enjoyed!!

Be sure to check out more of my food love on instagram @rocky092

No comments:

Post a Comment