Monday, December 15, 2014

My Favorite Shrimp Ceviche

I should have been a housewife


I love going into specialty olive oil/vinegar stores and trying all the different styles and flavors they have. One of the first times I went I found coconut flavored white balsamic and was in heaven. I bought it and thought I'd use it on salads (which I still haven't done), but found a much better use for it; My favorite shrimp ceviche.

Ceviches are seafood dishes where acidic juices (such as lemon, lime, and orange) are used to "cook" the fish. Here's my go to recipe for shrimp ceviche.

Shrimp Ceviche

1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined and cut into bit size pieces
6 limes, juiced (approx 2/3 cup)
2 lemons, juice (approx 1/3 cup)
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup cucumber, peeled and 1/4" cubed, seeds removed (approx. 1 medium)
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (approx 1/2 medium)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped1 avocado 1/2" cubed
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tsp coconut balsamic vinegar
Tortilla chips


1. Cut raw shrimp into bite size pieces and place in non metallic bowl. Add lime, lemon, and orange juice to cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Mix occasionally until shrimp are pink and look cooked through.

I should have been a housewife

Here the shrimp have turned pink and are no longer transparent

2. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Can be kept in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Let sit at room temperature for a half hour before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment