Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Homemade Tomato Soup and Improv Grilled Cheese



I should have been a housewife

I spent this past weekend at the farm helping my parents get things ready for warmer weather. I had a craving for a grilled cheese sandwich and decided to make some tomato soup from scratch as well. I really didn't plan this out well considering after I made the soup I realized I had no bread and no American cheese, but my improv ingredients actually made for a really delicious meal. Here is the original recipe for the best ever tomato soup though I didn't have any fresh herbs and ended up only making half a batch (which was enough for me and my parents, plus left overs).

Here's the recipe I used (already halved)

1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 11.5 cans tomato juice
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoons chicken base
3/4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons dried thyme


1. In a pot over medium heat, add butter and onion, cook until translucent (3-5 minutes). Add diced tomatoes and tomato juice, stir until combined. Add sugar and chicken base, mix well. Heat the soup to just under a boil, stirring every couple of minutes.

2. Remove the pot from the heat and take a small amount of hot soup and add to the heavy cream (couple of tablespoons). Add cream mixture back into the pot of soup, add the herbs and mix well. 

I would have loved to serve this with some homemade bread, but that would have taken much longer than my empty stomach would have allowed.

For the grilled cheese, I used left over biscuits from breakfast and toasted them with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. It was actually pretty delicious if I do say so myself, but you'll just have to take my word for it. 

Enjoy!

I should have been a housewife